Digital transformation has brought about a new customer experience culture, meaning organizations must ensure they have the right customer-centric approach and tools. Customer journey maps help you understand better your customers, accelerate onboarding processes, and keep your customers happy and engaged. The benefits of using customer journey maps are many.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the importance of customer journey maps and how you can create effective ones. We’ll also cover everything from their design principles to their implementation pitfalls so that you know what to avoid when designing one for your company.
Table of Contents
What is a Customer Journey Map?
Or buyer’s journey as well, represents your customer’s journey from awareness all the way to becoming a customer with your product or service and continues with their experience, how to gow existing customers and retain them.
This illustration shows the key moments and steps where customers interact with your product or service. You can then use this picture to create a roadmap to improve production processes and update your company’s strategy.
How do your customers get connected to your product or service? What are the key moments that influence their decision to choose your brand? What are the key challenges that your customers face? An effective map provides all this information, allowing you to create a roadmap for your company and inform your strategy.
Why Is It So Important To Have A Customer Journey Map?
It is impossible to overstate how important it is to use customer journey maps. The correct use of this strategy will not only help you understand your customers better but also allow you to accelerate your onboarding processes. Not to mention, when done right, it will also help you keep your customers happy and engaged and retain them as long-term customers.
Understanding your customers is essential if your business is interested in growing. Also called Buyer’s journey maps, these allow you to spot your customers’ interaction points with your product or service, their expectations, and what drives their decision-making.
How To Create a Practical Map?
When attempting to design the ideal customer journey map, you should adhere to a few design principles:
- Your customer should always come first. Start by putting yourself in your customer’s shoes. Build your journey map around them.
- The best way to start a journey map is to ask some of your main customers a few questions, like a short survey; this will allow you to gain insights and design your customer journey map the best way.
- Stay focused. You should always focus on one thing: your customers. If you try to do too much in one map, you will confuse yourself and your stakeholders.
- Visualize the flow of conversations and dialogue your customers have with your brand; this will help them better understand your product and its benefits. Make it easy for your customers to understand the core benefits of your product. Your brand’s tone of voice is crucial in this part.
- Be relevant. Ensure the efforts you are doing are pertinent to your specific industry and customers. Your customer journey map will have limited value to other industries and customers. Always niche down and provide help that adresses any pain points your customer might have.
Things To Avoid When Creating a Journey Map For Your Company
Although the CJ map design principles we discussed above will help you create a compelling journey map, there are a few things you should avoid when doing so:
- Do not try to be all things to all customers. It is essential to understand your core customers and their needs thoroughly. If your customer journey map is narrow enough, it will be easier to pinpoint pain points and find ways to solve them.
- Do not overdo the visuals. Again, your map should focus on one thing: your customers. You must put more visuals on the map to maintain attention and focus. But this can turn counterproductive when done excessively, remember that design principle “Sometimes, less is more”.
- Use an external tool. A few options are available if you want a tool to help you visualize your mapping work. These tools will allow you to represent your customers on the go visually. Moreketing’s FREE consultation call could be the 1st step.
- Don’t stick with generic. Make sure your customer journey map is specific to your customers and their needs. If it is generic, it will have little to no value and you won’t be able to stand out.
- The CJM is an essential communication tool in your arsenal. Please do not change it. Once you have something stablished and that you are happy with, please do not alter it since the appropiation of this from every member of the organization is vital to the correct functioning.
To truly understand your customers, you definetely need a customized and optimized customer journey map. These will help you understand how your customers interact with your product or service, their expectations, and what drives their decision-making. But more than that, it lets you see all those critical aspects that need improvement, twitching, removal, or addition, and act accordingly.
Creating a practical customer journey map can accelerate customer onboarding processes, find ways to keep your customers happy, and improve retention rates.
Share this article:
Ready To Improve Your Online Results?
You want to generate more awareness, generate high-quality inbound leads and make more sales! Let us guide you.